The Brunk Era

Andrew Gotshall; Polly Parakul, Broadcast editor; News editor, reporter

A coach is responsible for being a role model beyond the sports field; they are an encourager of strong values and morals, an implementer of accountability, a mentor to student-athletes during their athletic careers, and much more. New football coach Denis Brunk takes on this crucial role with grace and endurance. Brunk has had over 25 years of experience, which includes great victories and disappointing losses and has worked with myriad gifted athletes.

Brunk describes the most important skill he wishes to instill in his players.

“I focus on accountability as a coach [because] we are teachers. We are teaching these young men and women to prepare for life and responsibilities. Accountability is a big thing because it makes them a better person — not just in football but when they go on to be moms and dads and contribute to society, employees, or own their business. So accountability is a big factor in the growth of the person. With accountability, it creates trust amongst us meaning coaches and players. They expect us to show up and be accountable. As a coach, it is a two-way street. We want them to be the same way,” said Brunk.

He also believes that a crucial part of being a student athlete is focusing on the academic side of the title.

“Education always comes first. One thing I do different is I check grades every week, and I do it throughout the school year,” said Brunk.

In terms of team expectations, Brunk is mainly focused on encouraging growth and personal development.

“I’m looking for the kids that I met in the spring to see how they grow as young men-which goes into accountability, integrity, commitment, and friendship-because they are developing a team aspect where I want them to depend on each other instead of just depending on themselves. The one thing we did in the past month or two is worked together. The Petaluma kids worked with the Casa kids together in community service and it was great to see the boys get along because that is what it is supposed to be: positive,” said Brunk.

Furthermore, senior Ian Mifsud displayed what he admires about Brunk’s coaching style.

“He treats us like mature adults so there is mutual respect that goes both ways, there is a really good work ethic that we have this year that we didn’t have last year. With our better work ethic and accountability I think that we have a much better chance this season, and I look forward to that,” said Mifsud.

Lastly, Brunk talks about his enthusiasm to coach for the school.

“I’m really excited to be a Gaucho! I love the school spirit and how you guys are involved here. It resonated to the coaches and players,” said Brunk.

With enthusiasm and liveliness, Brunk and the team are headed for a successful and spirited season.