#LoveWins Once Again

Sean Lopez and Sue Jacob

Countless citizens of Australia have rejoiced in joy and celebration due to their participation in a government survey concluding in the favor of legalization of same-sex marriage. While many are pleased with this recent announcement, many believe that this is a right and, not a privilege. Junior Nick Lampe voices out his opinion on this recent report.

“Whether they’re out or not, there are so many gay people, so the fact that it’s legalized, might help people see that with support, they can finally be who they want to be—but then again, it shouldn’t also be a big deal,” said Lampe.

Many accounts of legal rights and to the LGBTQ+ community have emerged in the last few months.

Sophomore Holly Van Rensselaer shares her thoughts on this news.

“I think it’s really great. I think that it’s a big step forward in this time where it’s really accepted to legalize it. It’s been the United States, Ireland, and I’m so glad that it’s spreading. It makes me feel really happy that so many people are supportive and that so many people are having a voice about things they believe in,” said Van Rensselaer.

While the legalization of gay marriage is becoming more accepted worldwide, there are still misconceptions surrounding as well as hostility towards the LGBTQ+ community.

Junior Alex Lyons comments on the perspectives of others and her aspirations for the community and the future for equality for both men and women.

“It’s still very ‘taboo’ — not as much as before — and it’s not that it’s looked down upon, but it’s not spoken about and it shouldn’t be like that. More people than you may know are gay or some form of LGBTQ, and people shouldn’t be put into a box and have to stay in that box because not everyone is the same. It shouldn’t be a big deal that it’s legalized, but it’s also great that it is. We need to just get over it,” said Lyons.

While most of the world is beginning to move towards more acceptance, there is still a lot of mistreatment and inequality throughout different parts of the globe. From the multiple arrests in Egypt to the recent increase in anti-LGBTQ+ hate crime in Russia; there are numerous examples of contemptible and unfair treatment of LGBTQ+ individuals. Things are looking up for those in Australia, this may be a sign of better things to come.