More Than Just Socks

Meheak Singh, Reporter

Fuzzy socks are the epitome of the holiday season. A cheesy Hallmark movie playing with a hot cup of cocoa is simply incomplete without the warmth and comfort of a great pair of socks. No matter how cold it may be outside, they are guaranteed to keep everyone’s mistle-toes warm! Many may call me silly, or even superfluous– they’re just socks with a bit of extra fabric… what’s the big deal? I admit, even I was blind to the benefits of these magical pieces of cloth. I vividly remember opening up my stockings Christmas of 2014 to a pair of fuzzy socks. I smiled graciously and thanked my mother, but all I could think was “Great, another pair of socks” It wasn’t until I donned these socks the very next morning that I realized that they were like heaven on Earth for my cold feet. The extra thickness provided the perfect amount of heat to insulate my feet while also providing a warm bed for my heels– protecting them from the chilly floorboards. Even the Greeks embraced the notion of extra fabric; they utilized matted animal fur to make socks to keep their feet warm in harsh conditions

But durability and warmth are not why fuzzy socks embody the holiday spirit. Fuzzy socks are special: you can only appreciate them for a certain period of time– just like the holidays– which is part of the allure. Yes, you can certainly wear them year round. But you can also listen to christmas music year round… the point is that the recommended time of year makes them special. They remind you of joyous times, when the air is brisk, noses red, and breaths warm. They’re associated with smiles, laughs, and “holiday cheer.” It’s about being comfortable, about being content. It isn’t about the sock itself, but the spirit of giving, of spreading joy.  Memories are woven into the cloth with each wear, which only make them all the more valuable in the future. Each pair is special, with it’s own unique design, color, and style. They’re given from a place of love, with thoughts of warmth and joy in mind. So next time you get a pair of fuzzy socks, don’t be so quick to disregard them.