Yemen in Crisis

Andrew Gotshall, Broadcast Editor

The Yemeni Civil war began in 2011 during an exchange of power that was supposed to bring stability to Yemen. The Arab Spring uprising forced President Ali Abdullah Saleh to give power to his deputy Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi. Hadi, an inexperienced president, dealt with multitudes of problems during his first term. Al Qaeda, Separatists in the South, corruption, unemployment, and food shortages. Many military officers only remained loyal to Saleh, the former president. Yemen’s Zaidi Shia Muslims, dubbed the Houthi movement, took advantage of the weakened military and began to take control of the Northern Saada province.

Many Sunnis supported the Houthis, and in early 2015 the rebels took over the province of Sanaa. The rebellion gained momentum and caused president Hadi to flee the country. The uprising was noticed by Saudi Arabia and eight other Sunni Arab states started an air campaign to restore power to President Hadi. This coalition force received backing from the US, UK, and France.

Three years later, both forces remain entrenched and over nine thousand people have been killed and fifty-two thousand injured. The United Nations have tried to negotiate peace treaties between both sides, but two attempts have both been rejected by the Rebels and President Hadi. The world’s largest cholera outbreak has caused over one million cases and over two thousand deaths, and the ongoing war efforts by the coalition has left over three million people displaced from their home.