Grande Decaf Frappucino Please

Photo by Sue Jacob

Photo by Sue Jacob

Sean Donlan, Reporter

I’ve always loved milk, whether it was on its own, with chocolate syrup, or in milkshake form. I’ve been drinking it since I was born. Now though, after 15 years on this Earth, my love for milk has developed into something more than love. The cause: Starbucks Frappuccinos. Like I said before — I’ve always loved milk, and recently I’ve discovered I love the taste of coffee. Together these two loves form into something different, something I have trouble controlling: almost an addiction.

It started when I was in middle school, at Kenilworth. Being so close to a Starbucks, I was having difficulty not stopping there after school every day. Even though I was in love with the flavor of Frappuccinos, there was always something deterring me from buying them too often: the caffeine. If I have caffeine, I have high energy, which is good, but it only lasts for around an hour before I get a splitting headache. Even though the full effect of the caffeine wore off after the first hour, the effects lingered and I found it hard to fall asleep. This made my energy level lower which made me do worse in school, as I was always zoning out due to tiredness. I thought that I’d stop drinking coffee to better myself. However, one day, I was at Starbucks and they got my order wrong. They made my drink decaffeinated instead of caffeinated. I was going to ask for them to remake it but they were super busy and I didn’t want to seem rude to someone preparing me food, so I tried it. It truly changed my infatuation with the Frappuccino into an addiction. From then on I couldn’t stop drinking Frappuccinos, but I had a guardian angel that was watching in the background and decided enough was enough. This guardian angel was my debit card.

When I wanted to buy a Frappuccino I would usually pay cash, but if I didn’t have any money, I would pull some out of my bank account by way of ATM. Now this bank account had my allowance in it, and a combination of spending a lot of money every week and not getting paid due to my lacking in chores, combined to make my balance zero. Just like that, Frappuccinos were gone from my life. There was no drastic change or hole that was made from their disappearance. I still liked them a lot but I just couldn’t buy them anymore, so I waited ‘til high school. There is a Starbucks less than a mile away. However, lowerclassmen are not able to go off campus.Therefore there is no temptation. My addiction is gone: for now, at least. But there is always junior year.