Seven Windows Shattered

Vandals snuck in and smashed several windows of the M and R wings at the school.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seven Windows Shattered

Alejandro Paredes and Alice Antony

A few weeks ago, in the early morning, students arrived at school like any other day but shockingly to shattered classroom windows with sharp glass fragments scattered throughout the halls. Seven windows were reported to have been broken throughout campus, namely, the M and R wing. The act of vandalism was planned and executed the night before by the perpetrators on this campus, Petaluma High School, and Sonoma State University. Vandals used transportation to carry out their plans causing disaster. Christen Bulacan, a senior on campus who stumbled upon the incident, elaborates on how she felt this affected the school.

“It affected the safety of the environment at school because school is supposed to be a place where you can feel safe. With having broken windows and glass all over the floor, I feel like that really breaks up the meaning of coming to school and feeling safe. You never know what these people could do outside and inside of class. They could be a danger to a school so it kind of really defeats the purpose of feeling safe at school,” Bulacan said.

The destruction of the windows was rumored to be an attack on the history teachers, as the windows of some of the history teachers were coincidentally damaged. Kiri Brackett, a history teacher who had one of her windows broken the day of the incident, stated her opinion on the unfortunate incident.

“I just feel like we work on this whole idea of Gaucho pride, unity, and moving forward,” said Brackett. “I think this is a great idea place to work. And then when you come to something like that, just this random act of vandalism for no purpose and no meaning, it is sad, but it’s not reflective of our student body.”

Two male students committed the act and were eventually discovered by security cameras that were installed throughout campus and were traced by the police department. One of the students had pulled out a stake that was cemented in the ground as the weapon to smash the windows. Both of the students have had a past history of delinquency and were ultimately arrested; they have spent time in juvenile hall with suspension from school as well. One of the perpetrators who will remain anonymous explained his intention on vandalizing the campus.

“It was in the moment—breaking the windows. We were walking around and then I was like ‘Bro, I don’t want to go to class tomorrow,’ so we walked around the school, on the roof, and then walking back to the car, and then I walked to the garden and I saw stakes. For like fifteen minutes, I’m trying to bend this stake out of the ground and I’m contemplating it now. We did roshambo on who would break the window first and of course, I won. And then pop goes the first window and then I ran,” said the anonymous student.

On the morning of the discovery of the incident, the janitors sprung to action and cleaned up the glass that was scattered around. Principal Eric Backman made sure the windows were replaced immediately and measures were taken to make sure students and staff didn’t accidentally step on loose shards of glass. He gave his statement concerning the incident.

“We haven’t had an incident of this destructive nature, certainly, since I’ve been an administrator. So thankfully, it’s a unique event and hopefully, it stays that way. And, you know, as much as we as a community can do to keep one another safe and informed. So I’m going to keep promoting that message,” said Backman.