Cross Country Gauchos Take on Mt. SAC

Photo by Lucia Garay

Photo by Lucia Garay

Lucia Garay, Copy Editor, Page Editor

The Gaucho cross country boy’s and girl’s teams have earned first place in their league. Both the Varsity and Junior Varsity teams have scored high at every meet this season. In addition to invitational meets and official league meets, every year the team attends the annual Mt. San Antonio College, or Mt. SAC, cross-country race.

Mt. SAC is one of the largest high school cross countries meets in the world with roughly over 300 teams and thousands of individual athletes. Annually, Coaches Jamie Pugh and Carl Triola drive seven of the fastest boys and girls on the team to spend two nights in the Los Angeles area.

This year, the girl’s team consisted of seniors Celeste Chavez and Victoria Sojka, juniors Emma Baswell and Lucia Garay, sophomore Abby Vestnys, and freshmen Audrey Reposa and Kamryn Costenbader. Meanwhile, the boys ran senior Garrett Esponda, juniors Andrew Gotshall and Logan Moon, and sophomores Aaron Beaube, Nolan Hosbein, Owen, and Will Hite. Both teams raced on Friday afternoon in Division 3 races with around twenty other teams from across the country. As a team, the girls placed seventh out of nineteen teams. The boys finished in third place out of 23 teams, earning them team medals. As an individual, Owen Hite finished eighth out of 158 runners and won his own medal.

The competition among teammates to qualify for Mt. SAC is fierce, as only the fastest seven runners of each team can go.

“Athletes want to go to Mt. SAC since it only happens once a year and [memories are created that] only the people who make it will have,” said Logan Moon. “Mt. SAC is a meet that allows us to show off our talent and hard work to other teams while [also getting time to bond with] teammates.”

“When else do you get to leave school, travel to LA, compete in a sport, and visit Magic Mountain with a fun group of kids?” said Audrey Reposa.

The fourteen spots are sought after not only because of the opportunity to race against so many athletes from so many different schools, but also because of the opportunity to skip school, spend time with friends, and go to Six Flags after the race.

“My favorite part of Mt. SAC is going to Magic Mountain with the team and having to go through the Fright Fest throughout the park,” said Moon.

“I loved being able to spend time with everyone on the team. I loved the race. Even though the race was difficult, I was proud I pushed through and was able to compete,” said Reposa.