Opinion: Up for Debate

Kayla Alcorcha, Reporter

The courtroom is yours: the shuffling of papers and clicking of pens have subsided, the fervent whispers have stopped, soon to be replaced by your own voice. You stand up from your chair, in an attempt to ground yourself in the shoes that do not quite fit. In this room, every part of you must fit. They are your mother’s shoes. You are wearing a suit and you walk into the well as though you are better than anyone else in the room. If you believe it, everyone else will too. That’s the key to Mock Trial; shift the power dynamic in your favor from the start, and you’ve got a greater chance at winning. Despite your fear, there’s something undeniably electric about the situation. The rush lifts you up as the elevator does the same, and when the metal doors slide open your smile disappears. Poised and poisonous, deliciously so. You are neither of these things outside of the courtroom, but that is not something your opposition needs to know. You are a lawyer now, and a great one at that. You came, you saw, you…argued well and although the verdict did not sway in your favor you still have the possibility of earning more points than the other team because you’re better than half of the real lawyers out there, obviously. The trial itself goes by in a frenzied blur, and once it is over you will not remember most of the words that left your mouth, let alone the arguments of opposing counsel. You remember the criticism, sometimes the praise, the smiles on your teammates faces and that warm moment of self-satisfaction that reminds you why you stuck with this extracurricular  in the first place. Your Sunday mornings of legal pads and laughter are over, and you were initially disappointed upon discovering that your new school does not have a Mock Trial team. The two years you spent learning a new legal language will not go to waste, but they will remain as memories, binders neatly tucked inside a drawer. It may take four semesters for you to once again become better acquainted with yourself and those around you, but you are trying your best not to mind. The funny thing is, the dynamic of the journalism class is similar to that of your old team. Maybe you’ll find a place among them, too.