Album Review: “Sunset Season” by Conan Gray

Sydney Pearce, Page Editor

Looking at the world of Youtuber music, you see Tana Mongeau’s “Heifner,” or Jake Paul’s “It’s Everyday Bro.” And other times, you find Troye Sivan’s “Blue Neighborhood,” and “Bloom.” Conan Gray, a 20-year-old YouTuber from Texas, falls into the latter category of . He took his viewers through the adventures of his application and acceptance process and his life as a high schooler. More recently, he has been taking his viewers through a similar process, the making of music. His adventures both in and out of the recording studio while trying to keep up with his rigorous UCLA schedule have led up to his debut EP, “Sunset Season.”

The EP itself is a work of pure magic. Its opening track, “Idle Town,” which was released as a single in 2017, contains a slow-moving melody that represents the message of the song. The whole track is about how a town is only a holding place, especially for the young people living in it, and how too many people don’t appreciate the melancholy moments. He emphasizes his high vocal range in the melodies he created that transport you to this small, suburban neighborhood.

The next track, “Generation Why,” is a more recent single released in the month before the release of the full EP. The song encapsulates what it feels to be a hopeless teen in the age of social media, “fake news,” and crazy politics. This complicated message is conveyed by an angelic voice that makes the listener feel like they are running away from all of their worries. This song’s pleasant sounds paired with hopeless lyrics create the exact feeling of being a young adult.

The third song, “Crush Culture,” is an ironic depiction of a single person in high school or college. His wonderful vocals convey how disgusted single people can be by relationships, but how desperately they want to be involved in the culture. The penultimate song, “Greek God,” is a sort of continuation on the last, depicting how the singer was beginning to feel some attraction to another person, and the reluctance to get in a relationship.

The last song, “Lookalike,” a solemn conclusion to the love story, where the singer and the lover have fallen apart, and neither have quite gotten over the other. Each song on the EP leads to the next, and as a whole, it is truly magical.