Filed under Features, Food

Gaucho Gazette Bake-Off: Peanut Butter Pie Edition

We asked two of the Gaucho Gazette’s best bakers to engage in a bake-off; the theme of the competition was peanut butter. They each prepared unique dishes, and three of their fellow staff members chose the best one.

Photo by Aalyna Silva
Lucia’s peanut butter pie won as a result of its sweet crunchy crust and smooth ganache.

Lucia Garay’s Peanut Butter Pie

Judge 1

Lucia secured the title of first place in this bake-off. With a majority vote of two to one, her peanut butter pie was deemed the winning dish. Though Daniel made a commendable cheesecake, there was only one official vote in his favor. His peanut butter cheesecake was a surprise to the judges.

Lucia’s peanut butter pie was amazing, and the filling was perfectly made. It had a creamy texture which felt like it was melting on your tongue. This, paired with the crunch from the graham cracker crust, made her dish stand out in the competition. On top of the pie were some mini Reese’s and a chocolate drizzle which when eaten melded with the rest of the pie and added the tried and tested amazingness of Reese’s and dark chocolate. Overall, her pie was perfectly baked and presented and was a great representation of how peanut butter can be used in pies.

Judge 2

With a graham cracker crust, Lucia’s pie had a crunchy base that complemented the smooth layers of the chocolate ganache. Following the rich ganache, the body of the pie was a distinctive peanut butter mousse. This light, fluffy mousse contrasted the dense ganache and crispy crust creating a multitude of different textures and consistencies. While the overlapping flavors created a scrumptious pie, the dark chocolate gnash was not enjoyable. The graham cracker crust was also rather boring; however, the flavor, when combined with the other layers, tasted remarkable. Exquisite flavor, tantalizing appearance, and satisfactory presentation were key components that helped Lucia and her peanut butter pie win this bake-off.

Judge 3

Lucia’s peanut butter pie had an appealing presentation, adorned with a peanut butter cup centerpiece. Baked in a decorative glass pan, the dish seemed elegant yet the scattered lines of melted chocolate on the top was a nice addition. The judges collectively agreed that the graham cracker crust was executed wonderfully, as was the entirety of the pie. The bottom layer was chocolate ganache, and though dark chocolate is not everyone’s preference it was a great addition to the dish. Using peanut butter mousse, Lucia made a commendable pie. The pie was very rich and filling; once slice was enough to deter its deliciousness. Practically perfect, the pie won the competition.

Daniel Lubliner’s Peanut Butter Cheesecake

Photo by Aalyna Silva
Daniel’s peanut butter cheesecake came in second place due to an overuse of sour cream and poorly executed filling.

Judge 1 

Daniel’s cakes looked amazing but had a slight overuse of sour cream. Though the body of the cake was not the best, the crust and frosting were mediocre. Daniel’s crust consisted of crunched up peanut butter OREOs which also added crunch to the overall softness of the cake. The frosting was the highlight: a beautiful and delicious mixture of dark chocolate and peanut butter. The mixture was delicious. Peanut butter was the main addition to the cake’s appearance in the form of swirls. Daniel’s cake, though somewhat spoiled by the sour cream, showed promise. The use of peanut butter in the crust and frosting defined Daniel’s cake and saved it from complete failure.

Judge 2

Although Lucia made a peanut butter pie, Daniel chose to create a peanut butter cheesecake. The crust consisted of smashed peanut butter OREOs that tasted heavenly. The OREO consistency of the crust added crunch to the cake, while also complementing the overall peanut butter flavor. The filling was rich and creamy but had a peculiar taste. Made with peanut butter, cream cheese, and a little too much sour cream, the filling tasted unusual. Despite the odd filling, the chocolate ganache that followed was adequate. Complete with a swirl design of chocolate and peanut butter the cake’s appearance was enticing. However, the beautiful presentation and spectacular crust weren’t enough to win this bake-off.

Judge 3

Daniel baked a peanut butter cheesecake; the dish sounded delicious in theory, but the reality, as the judges concluded, was poorly executed. The swirly design that adorned the top of the cake was aesthetically appealing, creating a polished appearance. The cheesecake had a soft consistency and initially tasted very good. The peanut butter flavor, however, was ultimately underwhelming because of the strong sour cream taste. The usage of sour cream was startling and unexpected and did not go unnoticed. The OREO crust was a highlight of the dish, as agreed by the three judges. Though the dish had redeeming qualities, it was not enough to win against Lucia’s peanut butter pie.

Results: Lucia secured the title of first place in this bake-off. With a majority vote of two to one, her peanut butter pie was deemed the winning dish. Though Daniel made a commendable cheesecake, there was only one official vote in his favor. His peanut butter cheesecake was a surprise to the judges.