Voice: Bronson Lasley

Every issue of our newspaper features a unique student and showcases their experiences through their own words.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Voice: Bronson Lasley

Sophomore Bronson Lasley reflects on his journey to become 2018's Junior World Live Duck Calling Champion.

Photo by Rachel Gauer

Photo by Rachel Gauer

Photo by Rachel Gauer

Rachel Gauer, Reporter

I began duck calling at six years old when I started going hunting with my uncle. Once I saw my uncle and all the guys from his hunting club calling birds, I became very interested.

I am the 2018 Junior World Live Duck Calling Champion, and I placed second in the Junior World Goose Calling contest. Both of the championships were held in Easton, Md. last November. I also got fourth in the two-man live duck calling contest with my partner Daniel Ault. I won the 2018 team Junior California State Championship Duck Calling. For the last couple of years, I’ve won regionals in California and the junior state championship.

I didn’t know what to expect when I went into the highest level in Maryland until I got there. I didn’t realize I was going to do as well as I did until the top five winners got announced and I was one of them. They announced the winners: fifth place first, then fourth place, then third place, and then the two final contestants were called to step forward, and I was one of them. Then the second place winner was called, and I hadn’t been called yet, so I became the world champion. I competed against kids from New Zealand, a few kids from Canada, and a bunch of kids from all over the US, from the Deep South all the way to the Midwest, and then there are always a bunch of kids that come from the western states. All of them are honestly my friends now, though.

I’ve definitely been humbled by going against the best callers in the world. I’ve learned that I won’t always win every contest — even if I think I should have — because it all evens out at the end of the day. I’ve learned that whoever puts the most work in will ultimately get the most out of the sport at the end of the day. Also, I’ve just adopted a lot more people skills by meeting people and connecting with new friendships from all over the United States and across the world.

I’ve learned that whoever puts the most work in will ultimately get the most out of the sport at the end of the day. ”

— Bronson Lasley

During hunting season, I usually don’t practice as much because I have to divide my time between school time, hunting, and the sports I play. During the summer, I practice a few hours a day and during contest season, I practice calling at least a couple hours a day. I always make sure school and family come first before everything else, like hunting and calling. If I don’t get my schoolwork done, I don’t get to go hunt, so I always try to stay in contact with my teachers, coaches, and everybody else to make sure I’m on track.

I wouldn’t trade my experience for anything. It’s a great sport to get into if you’re into the outdoors and hunting and fishing. When I arrived home from Maryland after winning the world championship, the second I got off the plane I was getting texts and calls from different people asking if I could go hunting with them or teach their children how to blow a call. It is so great because I enjoy helping anybody learn how to call. When I’m up at my uncle’s ranch and we’re all sitting around the campfire, I get to help the little kids learn how to blow a call. We get to hear hunting stories from all the older guys, and it’s just an enjoyable time.