Stand Out Senior Projects

Senior projects with an emphasis on social change are on the rise with two notable examples on display: one depicts the achievements and unique qualities of the school on the west wall of the art wing and the other is a profound statement displaying the prevalence of rape culture.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stand Out Senior Projects

Nathan Bingham and Sydney Pearce

Senior projects take up a large portion of the lives of those students about to leave high school; some choose to work at the nearby hospital while others decide to work with young children. Others feel it’s better to commit their time to making a significant statement on campus. Whether that impact is on the culture of the school or the beauty of it, students want to make an impactful and lasting difference.

The primary Senior Project students can see is on the west-facing wall of one part of the art wing. Plastered on the outside of the 3D Make classroom is a large, and in-process, painting of all the great things about being on campus. This mural features a prominently painted football player running a ball down the field, a marching band member expressively playing a horn instrument, an antique car rolling into the scene and many other small nods to the achievements the students on campus have made.

The mural is being painted by a group of students in collaboration with renowned muralist Max Bala. This professional also worked with students on the mural painted on the storage units out by the band room.This year, he rounded up a new group of outgoing seniors and is working with them to complete this new mural. One of these students, senior Dillon Kay, reports his experiences painting this new piece of public art.

“The mural is a good experience because I’m working with my friends, I can have a good time, and it’s something I don’t usually do so it’s out of my comfort zone while I’m learning something new,” said Kay.

Kay also used this opportunity to use as his senior project. He explains why he chose such a big piece to use as his community service project.

“It was kind of a last resort for me; my friend told me about it so I joined him and we had a lot of fun with it,” said Kay.

The second senior project many students have stumbled across on campus is being displayed in the hallways of the M-wing. It is a bold statement about the rape culture present here on campus and in the country at large. The M-wing hallways are decorated with outfits pinned up to the wall with small paper quotes beside them. Each outfit represents what a person was wearing when they became a victim of sexual assault. All of the quotes are entirely confidential so that identities would remain anonymous.

Senior Karla Aragon is one of the students working on this Senior Project, and she describes the intention and execution of making such a significant impact.

“My project is a rape culture art museum in the hallways and has rape victims’ stories of what happened to them in those clothes. It’s just telling their stories and how it came to be, like what led to that point. My project is showing how being raped doesn’t depend on what you wear: anyone can be raped with whatever they wear. Also, it’s like it doesn’t matter what age: it can happen at a young age. Like some of the victims were young, like seven years old or younger,” said Aragon.

Aragon also details how she set up the project and why she wanted to tell the stories of survivors.

“The clothes were donations- some from my friends, some I got at Goodwill. The victims’ stories were either anonymous from students, and the other half were from an anonymous website for college students,” said Aragon, “I chose to do this as my Senior Project because of my class, the PEACE class with Todd. We chose to focus on SASA (Students Against Sexual Assault), and I wanted to focus on rape culture itself, what it meant, and it’s such a broad topic. I think it’s important to me because its a crucial topic that doesn’t get taken seriously enough,” said Aragon.