Spring Sports Update

The+Gaucho+Gazette+reports+on+spring+sports%2C+including+swimming.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Sports Update

The Gaucho Gazette reports on spring sports, including swimming.

Photo by Andrew Gotshall

Photo by Andrew Gotshall

Photo by Andrew Gotshall

Andrew Gotshall, Kevin Sitner, Reporter

Before spring’s official beginning on Mar. 20, our campus’ student athletes began practicing with their respective teams and competing in league matches. The arrival of the spring sports season brings another year of competition for nine total teams, comprised of both new and returning individuals, that represent eight different sports teams. Running from the season’s commencement in January to league championships in late May, the new season provides opportunities for athletes participating in girls lacrosse, boys lacrosse, boys tennis, boys golf, softball, and baseball. In addition to the continuation of our dynamic track program and a badminton program marked by recent success, swimming, the second most popular and second-largest co-ed sports team, has experienced growing popularity as of late.

As a sport that attracts individuals in search of an accessible platform for competition and those seeking a medium for cardiorespiratory exercise, the team attracts a diverse array of student swimmers. Although it is too late to sign up for a spring sport for this season, the swim team fielded a substantially large group of approximately 55 members this year, a record number. Swim coach Brent Wood articulates the composition of this year’s group relative to past years.

“A lot of these [athletes] are new to the team. About 30 to 35 are returning swimmers. I would say there are probably 16 to 17 varsity girls that are doing well. It’s been kind of [perceived] in the past [that] Casa doesn’t even have a swim team, but I think the word is getting out more,” said Wood.

Beyond the physical motion that swimming necessitates, namely opposite, reactionary forces supplied by the arms and legs that propel athletes forward, swimming requires a strong group identity and cohesion. Senior Kevin Cadle reflects upon the importance of building a strong team dynamic and how it has contributed to swim’s growth.

“The majority of the wrestling team joined the swim team this year. After losing only 2 seniors last year, we have almost the same team this year, so as a team, we are a pretty close group. We have improved with the addition of new club swimmers and multi-sport athletes trying something new, and as a result have competed at a higher level,” said Cadle.

Swim, like all other teams on campus, is making the transition from last year’s North Bay League to the new Vine Valley League. This not only means longer bus rides for competitions against smaller schools, but also different expectations for match outcomes and league placement. Cadle expresses the changing attitude associated with fresh competition.

“Being in a new league, we face new schools and new competition, so we go into every meet not really knowing what to expect,” said Cadle.

Unlike other sports, swim practices at an offsite facility. This is the first year that they are practicing at Petaluma High School’s pool. Wood highlights the tradeoffs associated with the transition.

“The pool is really beautiful; it’s too bad it’s on Petaluma’s campus. I would love to have a pool on Casa’s campus. We were concerned about kids getting over to the pool, [so] we practice [from] 4:45 to 6. It has a state of the art timing system scoreboard,” said Wood.

Regardless of one’s intention for joining the program, competitors are unified by a common goal of self-improvement, a sentiment that Wood suggests is integral to the team philosophy, for both athletes and coaches alike.

“Whether you are fast or a slow swimmer, [it] doesn’t matter to be on the swim team. What matters is that you practice a perfect performance and you do your best. We have open arms for everyone:, we don’t cut people on the swim team. If nothing else, they get to develop the important skill of being able to swim,” said Wood