Fortnite For Real

An anonymous billionaire wants to give Fortnite Battle Royale a real-life update.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fortnite For Real

A Fortnite character scopes out an oncoming attacker with her gun at the ready/

Daniel Lubliner

In 2019, it would appear that the best thing the rich and powerful have to do is watch the “Hunger Games” trilogy and play round after round of Fortnite Battle Royale. After all, how else could one find themselves itching to gun down vicious video game enthusiasts in a three-day long battle royale simulation on a private island? Alas, the world may never know, as the billionaire who has announced their intentions to stage this spectacle of BB-guns and brash behavior has chosen to remain anonymous.

Word of this billionaire’s intentions flew like the Fortnite Battlebus to the open ears of IGN this month, with IGN in turn announcing this intriguing prospect to the world. News outlets immediately broadcasted this story inarguably because of society’s current obsession with all things “battle royale.”

Battle Royale went mainstream in 2008 when the first installment of the “Hunger Games” trilogy was written and released by Suzanne Collins to a public that rooted for the teen characters while waiting hungrily for more brutal teen violence. This series spawned a whole new way of thinking, causing many to imagine how they would fare against twenty-three other tributes in a natural arena. Many conversations were had amongst friends about what they would do, what their weapon of choice would be, and how high they think they would place in the game.

While this line of thought is sadistic, it has pervaded into certain facets of society that have thrived on the idea of pitting people against each other: for example, battle royale video games such as Fortnite and PUBG grew to immense popularity in 2017 and 2018, with Fortnite accumulating a fanbase of 78.3 million players in August 2018. People of all ages played the game, with many young children taking down numerous counts of their seniors with pixelated bullets and axes.

When the anonymous billionaire announced his desire to stage this battle royale game, many were enthralled, many were perplexed, and many were disgusted. The motivation for spending three twelve-hour periods over three days hunting down your coworkers is a £100,000 prize, which is equivalent to $128,989 with today’s exchange rates. The competition would involve a vast array of BB-style weaponry and touch-sensitive armor and ammo to verify hits and kills. The competition would theoretically take place for twelve hours throughout the day before necessary provisions such as food, camping gear, and whatever else is deemed necessary. The last weekend warrior standing at the end of the game takes with them the hefty sum of money and the knowledge that they have outlasted, outsmarted, and outgunned their peers.

Avid Fortnite and PUBG players alike will surely flock to this competition under the pretense that their digital experiences in the battle royale realm will aid them in their struggle to survive, and yet, an anonymous Casa Grande sophomore thinks differently.

“The game could give you knowledge on how to move around and what to do, like obviously, it [the live competition] won’t be the same as [digital] Fortnite. I think physicality would matter in the game because some people just sit in their room all day and don’t really do a lot of physical activity while some do a lot [of exercise] and play a minimal amount while still being good at the game,” said the sophomore. “If I were in the [real life] game I would just hide and use a BB-gun.”

Ultimately, all one can do at the moment is practice their marksmanship, run their agilities, craft their hit lists, and hope that one day if the competition occurs that the odds are ever in their favor.