World History Class Creates Mural

Back to Article
Back to Article

World History Class Creates Mural

Violet Wang and Kaitlyn Wong

With the school year coming to an end, many students are more than eager to leave schoolwork behind and embrace the lackadaisical summer attitude. However, one sophomore class is ending the year strong with a class community service project.

Maggie Steiner’s World History zero period class is creating a mural in one of the hallways in the M building as a final project before the start of summer. After learning about Athenian democracy, Steiner’s class decided to practice this form of government in order to further understand it through the form of a class project. In Athenian democracy, the first known democracy in the world, all citizens participated by gathering together to discuss and vote on issues; each person’s vote counted and the majority ruled. Steiner’s class used Athenian democracy to figure out what they should do for their final project and to decide on the design of the mural. The class thought of many project ideas such as painting a mural off campus, picking up trash, or drafting a petition to fix the Casa Grande roads, but ultimately voted on painting a mural to commemorate Petaluma’s vibrant history.  

We were trying to figure out something to do to make the school or the town better in some sort of way. And the majority of the class voted that we should paint a mural on campus.”

— Lindsey Warner

Sophomore Lindsey Warner explains the process leading up to the painting.

“We were trying to figure out something to do to make the school or the town better in some sort of way. And the majority of the class voted that we should paint a mural on campus,” said Warner.

While the students in the class were graded on the logistical aspects such as practicing Athenian democracy in class and presenting their community service project to school administration, the rest of the process like painting and designing are being completed as volunteer work by the students. Many of the students are also artists and have taken on the responsibility of painting and working on the mural on Saturdays and after school. The class collaborated together on the mural by distributing tasks — smaller groups would make designs that the class would vote on while others would volunteer their time and paint the mural. The class also created a GoFundMe campaign to fundraise money to purchase supplies such as paint and paintbrushes.

Sophomore Alphie Bertnick discussed the meaning behind the mural.

“We are doing a sort of history of Petaluma. We have the Phoenix building and the milkshake statue [and other] landmarks near the movie theaters. And then we have a mini parade at the bottom that shows Clover the cow and a car driving by,” said Bertnick.

The class hopes to finish to the project by May 25th, leaving behind a display of Petaluma’s history as well as as piece of Steiner’s 2019 zero period World History class in the hallways of the school.