Gym Flow

Gains. Yoked. Swole. Do you even lift?

Many slang terms associated with working out have made their way into teenage vocabulary and have motivated many to participate in the “lifting craze.” Although there are a variety of reasons for people to invest in a gym membership, it is also a popular place among all types of students who would like to improve their physical fitness. Junior Patrick Brodsky and senior McKenna Lacock discuss the benefits of staying in shape at their current gym, City Sports.

“I try to go to the gym at least four times a week, lifting wise, but I go to yoga every Sunday” said Brodsky.

However, some have a much stricter gym routine. Chemistry, physical science, and physics teacher, Todd Creighton gives a general summary of his workout regimen.

“I got to the gym seven days a week. I usually do cardio in the early morning before work, then everything else in the afternoon.”

Although some enjoy to work out alone, others prefer to be accompanied by a friend or gym partner. This person may be a spotter (one who supports another person during a particular exercise to ensure safety), or simply one who motivates and adds to the enjoyable environment.

“I started going to the gym with a goal at the beginning of the summer with Jessica Barredo,  and since then, I’ve gotten more into it,” said Lacock.

Also, Creighton, explains his inspiration for attending a gym.

“When you get to certain age you can only compete in so many different things, and now I’m competing with my own standards and I have a goal of how much I want to bench,” said Creighton.

The gym is not only a place for those who do not participate in sports, but it is a training facility for athletes in the off-season or for a light workout in between practices or games.

“During basketball we have open gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I try and go workout on the days in between,” said Brodsky.

Despite all of the gym-hype on social media, its public environment allows for minimal privacy and the possibility that most machines will be occupied.

“The hardest part about having a membership is how many people are always there, and how intimidating it can be,” said Lacock.

Although the gym may be overpopulated at certain times, students find that its results are undoubtedly satisfying.

“I’ve seen results and I feel much more comfortable when I wear tank tops, so that’s always a plus,” said Brodsky.

Due to the many benefits of staying physically fit while attending a gym, it continues to be a popular place among those who are working toward a common goal.

“People thinking of joining a gym should definitely do it. They could start going with a friend because that can be more fun,” said Lacock.